Yet another form of a children’s catechism. This version was published in THE WESTMINSTER ASSEMBLY’S SHORTER CATECHISM, WITH SCRIPTURE PROOFS. [Portland : Hyde, Lord and Duren. New-York City : Eli French. 1847.]
A CATECHISM IN RHYME.
- Who made you, child, and bade you live?
God did my life and spirit give.
- Who keeps you safely, can you tell?
God keeps me safe, and makes me well.
- How has God shown the way of truth?
The Bible is the guide of youth.
- How should you act to God above?
With fear and honour, praise and love.
- Does God know all you do and say?
Yes, and my thoughts both night and day.
- Have you and evil heart within?
Yes; I was even born in sin.
- How does your heart its badness show?
By sinful words and actions too.
- Is not God angry when we sin?
Yes. Oh how wicked I have been.
- What do your sins deserve t’ obtain?
Present and everlasting pain.
- And can you save yourself from wo?
I cannot save myself, I know.
- Have you the power to change your heart?
No; it is prone from good to start.
- Who, then, can peace and pardon give?
Jesus, who died that we might live.
- What proves that Jesus Christ will save?
His life, his cross, his death, his grave.
- Can none but Christ for sin atone?
The blood of Jesus Christ alone.
- And how may you his grace receive?
In Jesus Christ I must believe.
- Must you repent with humble heart?
Yes, and from every sin depart.
- From God what blessings should you seek?
Lord, save my soul for Jesus’ sake.
- Should you love Christ, who was so good?
Oh yes, with all my heart I should.
- Did Christ become a little child?
Yes, holy, humble, meek and mild.
- What did his early his’try shew?
Jesus in strength and wisdom grew.
- What was foretold of Jesus’ grace?
The Lambs he’ll on his bosom place.
- And were the young thus loved and blest?
Christ took and clasped them to his breast.
- What did Christ say, though young we be?
Let little children come to me.
- Does Christ still view the young with love?
Yes, on his glorious throne above.
- How should a child begin to pray?
Lord, teach me what to think and say.
- Will God regard the hymns you raise?
Yes, Jesus loves an infant’s praise.
- Who only can direct your youth?
The Holy Spirit, God of truth.
- Must you of ev’ry lie beware?
Yes, with most strict and constant care.
- Must you all evil tempers flee?
I must not in a passion be.
- Must you your book and wisdom prize?
Yes, I must be both good and wise.
- How must a child to others be?
As I would have them act to me.
- What must you to your parents shew?
Obedience, love, and honour too.
- What must your brother(s)* in you find?
A heart that’s always mild and kind.
- Must you your sister(s)† always love?
Yes, and be gentle as a dove.
- How must you act to all you know?
I must all love and kindness know.
- Do little children often die?
Yes, quite as young and strong as I.
- Will Jesus judge the “small and great?”
Yes, and will fix their endless state.
- Where shall the wicked sinner dwell?
With everlasting flames in hell.
- What should you wish if call’d to die?
To be with Christ above the sky.
- Where will good children ever be?
In heav’n, their Saviour Christ to see.
* Or sister(s).
† Or brother(s).